Friday, December 16, 2016

On Bechloe And Pitch Perfect 3

On Bechloe and Pitch Perfect 3

credit to lifeisbechloe on tumblr

I love Pitch Perfect. It's a female-centric film, which we get far too few of. And it's about girls who sing - with their mouths, as Chloe says. It's almost like the film was engineered in a lab for me to love. Like most things I love, there's femslash.

Let me break it down for you. A Chloe busts into Becca's shower because she hears her singing. She demands to harmonize with her. Becca compliments Chloe's body, and Chloe compliments Becca's singing,  It's one of the gayest scenes I've ever seen. The second movie continues this subtextual relationship - there's a scene where Chloe mentions "experimenting" to Becca. 

I'm truly familiar with queerbaiting. I've seen it before and I know I'll see it again. I'm talking about you, Swan Queen ("How can I get the savior to taste my forbidden fruit?"), Rizzles, etc. But the thing that excites me so much about Bechloe is that it still has the chance to NOT be queerbaiting. We still have the chance to get our happy ending. 

Anna Kendrick is fully behind Bechloe. “I mean, our characters are pretty much in a lesbian relationship. As far as we’re concerned, they’re secretly in love. We’ve joked that there will be all-out passionate lovemaking in the third movie. Too bad we still need that PG-13 rating.” Of course, the choice to make Bechloe Canon doesn't lie with Anna Kendrick, although her support is important. 

But there is good news. It looks like Skylar Astin and the Treblemakers will not be in Pitch Perfect 3. Without Becca's previous love interest, Chloe has an opening. 

Something else that must be considered is how Pitch Perfect has treated it's queer characters in the past. Cynthia Rose is the Barden Bella's only lesbian, and she's often the butt of a joke. The movies are comedies, but do they really need to joke about her being predatory towards Stacie? It's a tired trope that needs to die.

Still, I'd love to see Bechloe become canon, and it's looking like they have a chance. With so few LGBT characters in film, it would be so refreshing for these two, who have such a fanbase, to truly be in love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment