Sunday, December 11, 2016

Actresses I Would Love To See Play Lesbian/Bi Characters

Actresses I Would Love To See Play WLW

Somewhere in my head exists my perfect television show. It's about a group of women who race spaceships. And kiss. Often. And my perfect tv show, obviously, has a perfect cast. It includes many of the women who have played Lesbian and Bi characters before, but it also has some who have never gotten the chance. You read this list and you're seeing a little bit of my heart's greatest hope. 


First off, there's Gina Torres. I have loved her ever since I first saw her as Zoe in Firefly. There is no one in Hollywood who looks more like Wonder Woman to me (you can't tell me she's too old, the woman doesn't age!). She's had a few subtexty roles, like Cleopatra in Xena and Hel in Cleopatra 2525 (a show that must be seen to be believed), but I've never seen her play an actual bi or lesbian role. If I did I might die of joy. In my Gays in Space show, she's the galaxy's biggest bookie, in charge of bets on space races. 

Next, there's Eliza Dushku. I may be pushing things a little, as I think Eliza has played a lesbian once in a horror movie or something, but I never saw it so I'm gonna say it doesn't count. Eliza Dushku is the queen of subtext. She could have chemistry with a paper plate. Her performance as Faith Lehane resulted in my gay awakening. She's also been the biggest cheerleader of the Faith/Buffy ship. It's time we got her kissing ladies on television. On Gays in Space, she's a hotshot pilot with an addiction to drugs that keep you awake while in flight (gotta keep the angst in there somehow). 

It's no secret that I love Warehouse 13. And throughout its seasons, Joanne Kelly does an amazing job of acting like she's in love with Helena Wells. She's also incredibly supportive of the fandom. We may not be able to have canon Bering and Wells, but Joanne Kelly could totally play a wlw. On Gays In Space, Joanne Kelly is an alien spaceship racer with a secret - she's dating a human. 

Gina Rodriguez is one of the most adorable humans alive. Jane The Virgin has blessed us with the ability to see her face on our televisions. And I have good news - she's going to be playing a lesbian paramedic in a sci-fi film called "Annihilation". But since that's not out yet I'm still going to count her as an actress who hasn't played a queer character. In Gays In Space, she's a genius mechanic secretly stealing from her bosses in order to get enough to go off world.

I hope you enjoyed my weird little gay sci-fi thoughts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment