Saturday, December 10, 2016

Characters I Headcanon as Lesbian/Bi

Characters I Headcanon as Lesbian/Bi

Every once in a while I see a character on television and chant in my head "one of us, one of us". It's not always a canonically queer character that catches my eye. Sometimes it's so obvious that I wonder who the writers are trying to kid by telling me that this character is straight. SURELY they can see that she likes girls. Here are a few of my favorite subtextually lesbian and bi characters currently on tv. 

look at that power lesbian stare

Lena Luthor practically OOZES gay. It's something of a joke right now on tumblr that Katie McGrath, bless her soul, can't play a straight character. The way she looks at Supergirl/Kara... it's hungry and I love it. Lena is so gay that she's in love with both Supergirl and Kara Danvers - at the same time. Like many lesbians, Lena has a family that does not see her as good enough. Throughout the season, she's been choosing Supergirl over her family. How much truer does love GET?

smol bi mess Rebecca Bunch
Rebecca Bunch's bisexuality is not immediately noticeable. She spends much of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend pining after either Josh or Greg. However, a song in season one shows us that Rebecca is totally into Valencia, Josh's girlfriend at the time.

"I wanna lock you in a basement with soundproof walls
And take over your identity.
I wanna cut the silky hair right off your head
And slurp it up, like spaghetti.
Wanna clone you and consume you,
Wanna own you and cartoon you,
Fly your dirty panties like a kite
(Kite!)
‘Cause I-I-I-I I’m feelin’‛kinda naughty tonight!"

It's clearly... really weird, but no straight woman wants another woman's dirty underwear. 

Petra is bi bi bi
Petra Solano is bi.  Every time she's around Jane, she LIGHTS UP. She cares so much about her. And not in a this-is-my-best-friend way. Jane the Virgin may already have lesbians but it does us a disservice by not letting Petra kiss Jane. 

Sometimes I just want to take these girls away from their writers and let them be who they so obviously are. 




No comments:

Post a Comment